The application window for the 2021 NBPA Agent Certification is now closed.
The next application window will be between July 1, 2021 & October 1, 2021. Those who apply during this window will be eligible for certification in 2022.
- The application window for the 2021 agent certification exam closed on November 1, 2020. Late applications will be denied without exception.
- Applicants who applied during the 2020 window are eligible for certification in 2021.
- The application process takes approximately ninety days to complete from the date received. Status updates will not be provided and applicants should check their inboxes (including spam/trash) for an email from the NBPA. and refer to the FAQs
NBPA AGENT APPLICATION CHECKLIST
- Applicants are urged to completely review the NBPA Agent Certification FAQs
- Complete all sections of the agent application accurately and honestly
- Copy of highest diploma received or transcripts in PDF format
- Payment in total of $1,500.00 USD which includes non-refundable application fee of $250.00 and refundable prorated dues of $1,250.00 for the remainder of the current season
- Please note that NBPA Application Guidelines require payment to be sent/submitted concurrently with the submission of your application. If full receipt of payment is not received in a timely manner (within 15 days) and no later than the application deadline, your application will be rejected. For more information, please refer to the NBPA Agent Certification FAQs
- Completed and signed consent and release form
- Authorization of background investigation
- Two forms of government issued Photo ID
- Completed W9 or W-8BEN form (in order to process initial payments, refunds if applicable, and annual agent dues once certified)
- Download and print a PDF version of the NBPA Regulations Governing Player Agents
- Download the 2017 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) refer to the outline provided within the FAQ section.
Please note: Holding yourself out as an NBPA Agent prior to being Certified is a violation of our Regulations and will result in denial of your current and future applications to become a Certified NBPA Agent.
The 2021 NBPA Certified Agent Examination will be virtually administered on Friday, February 12, 2021. The review session will also be virtually administered and available for approved applicants on Thursday, February 11, 2021.
Materials required for the examination are as follows:
- Working webcam and microphone
- Windows (8+) or Mac OS (10.13+) operating system
- Internet (minimum bandwidth of 300 Kbps).
- Test-takers can use any modern/updated browser including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and IE 11
Approved applicants will be provided review and examination schedules via email no later than Friday, February 5, 2021.
- The examination will cover the 2017 NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement and the 2019 National Basketball Players Association Rules and Regulations Governing Player Agents. The exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions which you will have a time limit of three (3) hours to complete. Materials for the exam may be accessed by clicking on the links above. It is recommended that you print both the 2017 CBA and Agent Regulations.
- The exam is open book. Prepared, printed or handwritten notes are also permitted during the examination. It is strongly advised that applicants utilize a calculator during the exam (cell phone calculators are not permitted).
- An optional, virtual review session will be offered prior to the exam. Please note that the review session should not be used as a preparation course and solely relied upon for preparation of the exam. The review session is an opportunity for applicants to ask questions and gain further clarification on materials previously studied. This date will be released at the same time of the examination date and no sooner.
- Approved applicants will receive an email containing the date and time of the examination within one week from the exam date. Additional details regarding testing location(s) will also be provided at that time. Testing information will not be released prior to notice that your application is approved. Do not request this information if you have not been approved to sit for the exam as it will not be provided.
- A study index for the CBA as well as sample questions are available on the NBPA Agent Certification FAQs.
Continued compliance with the Regulations is required in order to maintain your certification. Compliance includes but is not limited to:
- Successfully passing the exam
- Remitting required dues payment on or before July 1 of each and every year
- Providing updated contact information
- Negotiating and executing at least one Player contract within a five-year period
- Attending an NBPA Agent Seminar in accordance with the requirements set forth in the NBPA Regulations Governing Player Agents. Please be advised that attendance to another NBPA or NBA event will not be accepted as a substitution for your required attendance to the NBPA Agent Seminar.
All other information pertaining to the Agent application and certification process can be found in the NBPA Agent FAQ section