ABOUT THE NBPA AND OTHER ENTITIES
The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) is the union for current professional basketball players in the National Basketball Association (NBA). Established in 1954, the NBPA’s mission is to protect and support the rights and talents of our players, magnify the power of their collective will, and amplify their voices as leaders who will transcend sport and society globally.
The NBPA advocates on behalf of the best interests of all NBA players, including the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, the filing of grievances on behalf of the players, or counseling players on benefits, educational and post-NBA career opportunities. Business opportunities are generated by the NBPI, the subsidiary of the NBPA charged with managing the players’ group licensing rights and other commercial opportunities.
The Women’s National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) is the union for current professional basketball players in the National Basketball Association (NBA).
The Basketball Players Association (BPU) is the union for current basketball players in the NBA’s G League.
ROLE: The Controller supports the finance function of the NBPA, the WNBPA, Basketball Players Union, and all other related entities.
MANAGER: Chief Financial Officer
DIRECT REPORTS: Assistant Controller; Manager, Treasury and Player Funds; Accounts Payable Senior Associate
- Solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills
- Knowledge of relevant aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Experience with Department of Labor reporting (e.g., LM-2) a plus but not necessary
- Specific experience with the Intacct accounting platform or similar and other financial information systems (e.g., Ariett/AvidXchange, Concur, Bill.com, Planful/Host Analytics)
- Public accounting experience with a large accounting firm
- Accreditation of certified public accountant (CPA), certified management accountant (CMA) or chartered global management accountant (CGMA)
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Ownership of the financial reporting process and the general and sub-ledgers, as well as record keeping and expense reporting
- Ownership of the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements
- Administration and oversight of all accounting and financial information systems
- Preparation and presentation of analytical reviews and analyses to senior management
- Oversight of systems, processes and procedures with view to maintain sustainable and scalable solutions
- Oversight of reconciliations of investment and operating accounts
- Develop or review and post all journal entries for entities
- Lead annual audit process and coordination with external auditors
- Maintenance of strong accounting processes and internal control structure to ensure regulatory compliance with all applicable federal and state laws/regulations
- Oversight of regulatory reporting, including tax compliance and LM-2 reports
- Lead annual budget process, attend/present at board and other meetings, as necessary
- Provide special reports and assistance on special projects, as requested
- Interact with players, vendors and customers, as needed
All interested candidates can email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org