Title: Director, Player Engagement & Business Development
Business Unit: Player Engagement
Work Location: New York
Reports to: VP/Brand & Player Engagement
Department: NBPI/THINK450 Player Engagement
The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) is the union for current professional basketball players in the National Basketball Association (NBA). Established in 1954, the NBPA’s mission is to ensure that the rights of NBA players are protected and that every conceivable measure is taken to assist players in maximizing their opportunities and achieving their goals, both on and off the court. Whether it is negotiating a collective bargaining agreement, prosecuting a grievance on a player’s behalf or counseling a player on benefits and educational opportunities, the NBPA advocates for the best interest of all NBA players.
A big success of the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NBA, is that the NBPA has retained their own group Licensing Rights, effective July 1, 2017. As such, the NBPA established THINK450, a for-profit Licensing and Marketing business wholly owned by the NPBA and its members, the Players. This entity will work to maximize revenue, among other areas, through various commercial licensing, marketing and sponsorship endeavors, content creation and distribution, and owned and operated events.
There are three main objectives for NBPI/THINK450:
1. Giving the players more control over the way their name, image and likeness are collectively used in licensing, sponsorship and marketing relationships;
2. Ensuring that the Players are properly compensated, in comparison with other North America professional Team Sport athletes, for the use of these personal rights, and seeking increased payments on a yearly basis; and
3. Providing multiple new business opportunities for players to collectively commercialize their likeness and names, and monetize the intellectual property of the NBPA, which will provide incremental revenue for the players.
THINK450 is responsible for the revenue production, growth and sustainability of both its own business, as well as funding the NBPA’s operations. THINK450 is a growth business.
The NBPA and its members have never been better positioned to take advantage of opportunities in the areas of sports, media, technology, and sponsorship. Overall, this is an exciting time for the NBPA to grow its business and prominence as a steward for its members… WE ARE PLAYERS FIRST!
Reporting directly into the VP of Brand & Player Engagement, the Director of Player Engagement & Business Development at THINK450 is responsible for assisting and supporting the VP of Brand & Player Engagement in connection with all aspects of the organization. Inclusive of managing player appearances, servicing player marketing deals as well as day-to-day player outreach through the management of CRM. In addition, the Director of Player Engagement & Business Development will be tasked to develop strategic ideas for player activations for our Licensees and creating new IP to be sold by Brand Partnerships. This role will also serve in assisting in the player value add areas of licensing, endorsements, camps and business development.
The focus of the role will be developing creative ways to increase engagement amongst players, managing relationships with players and agents, servicing player licensing and sponsorship deals as well as managing activation projects. This role will also be responsible for communicating across the multiple pillars within THINK450 such as Licensing, Brand Partnerships, Content and Grassroots. The position requires experience and skills in, among other things, project management, building strategic alliances and relationships, brand and player relations, and program execution.
% OF TIME
|Enhance Player Engagement |
Key driver in creating innovative ways of how the organization increases and maximizes player engagement in three areas of focus: 1) Player to Player 2) Player and Brands 3) Player and NBPA/THINK450
- Manage the day-to-day player marketing and servicing of licensee and sponsorship brand partner needs from players
- Oversee the execution of contractual deliverables to ensure long-term success and revenue growth
- Build customized spreadsheets to track player appearances, deliverables and revenue to players
- Assist with the curation of NBPA tentpole experiences and programs such as: One Court, Camps, Annual Union Meetings, Draft Reception and PVA’s to encourage player participation with NBPA, THINK450 and brand partners
- Assist in the management of all internal and external player and agency operations inclusive of the execution of player agreements and payments for maximum efficiency
- Manage, assist and support brand activations, player appearances and production shoots as it pertains to engaging players
- Serve as the “Player Expert” across the organization to provide key player and cultural insights to ensure players are positioned appropriately while maximizing revenue opportunities with current and future partners
- Lead in driving new creative ways, engagement tools and outreach that will allow the organization to build player trust, gain credibility and create brand awareness
- Expected to present Player Engagement strategies to Senior Team and organization that align with overall organizational mission and goals
- Manage and assist all departments with player insights, player marketing strategies and player target lists designed to activate with brands, strengthen brand perception and drive digital/social engagement to ensure we deliver revenue goals across the six (6) key pillars of: 1) Original I.P., 2) Brand Collaborations, 3) Business Development, 4) Sponsorships, 5) Player Endorsements, and 6) Product Placement & Seeding
|Player Outreach & Touchpoints|
Responsible for player outreach, building and maintaining relationships and collecting key player insights and data to ensure the departments are maximizing revenue and growth opportunities for the organization. Will also be expected to collaborate with all functions of the organization with an emphasis on primary revenue and growth drivers for the business
- Weekly outreach and relationship building with players
- Managing & servicing player brand activations through new licensing and brand partnership opportunities
- Proactively communicate with players and agents to explore potential opportunities and increase synergy with NBPA/THINK450
- Promote & Educate THINK450 and its’ vision, image and impact it has among players and other key stakeholders
- Making target number of player outreach and touchpoints weekly set by VP of Player Engagement (calls, meetings, games, events, player driven experiences)
- Responsible for presenting and sharing key player insights across all necessary departments
- Provide weekly/monthly status reports to VP of Brand & Player Engagement as well as organization
|Creative Thinking to Move Business Forward|
While Player Engagement is the centerpiece of our business, this role is instrumental in developing, presenting and executing on how we position and maximize the value of our players
- Responsible for fresh and creative thinking to drive ways to utilize players across all facets of the business
- Develop and execute strategies to build assets, drive revenue and create awareness for THINK450
- Develop engagement opportunities to incentivize potential brand partners and maximize Licensing marketing spend (i.e. gifting suites and player-to-sponsor mixers, etc.) to increase player-brand engagement
- Sourcing and evaluating potential deal flow and equity opportunities that is self-initiated or curated by other functions of the organization
- Responsible for developing new ways to leverage and maximize the Player CRM system to ensure the most relevant information is collected, available and shared
- Key driver in developing strategies and new IP relevant to our players as well as creating sales opportunities for Brand Partnerships
- Create and manage fresh, relevant ways to connect our players to new experiences within the industry and culture
|Collaboration & Leadership|
Serve as brand steward and contributing member of the team providing innovative and critical thinking for Player Engagement inclusive of the I.D.E.A. Lab to drive the NBPI business forward. Engage cross-functional teams to cultivate strong talent and a world-class brand marketing organization. Network & collaborate with key stakeholders across NBPI, NBPA, Players, agents and other key representatives of NBPA members to support priority projects and ensure everyone’s focus remains on the mission of being “PLAYERS FIRST”.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Technical Knowledge Required):
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or related field required.
JOB EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED (Years and Type of Specific Experience):
Ability to articulate informed point of view across organization
Able to create and execute concepts from start to finish
Excellent communication skills with all levels of executives, management and staff - in person, on the phone and in writing.
Must have ability to develop, manage and maintain relationships with players and agents
Self-starter, will take initiative with new projects
Ability to manage and motivate a team and/or small groups
Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications including Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, and Keynote or Indesign presentation skills would be a major plus.
Non-traditional and disruptive thinker willing and able to present point of difference to push the business forward
Understands player and cultural relevance in the marketplace
Able to manage multiple work streams and meet tight deadlines
Strong problem solving and relationship building
Strong decision-making skills with the ability to translate into an executable plan
Passion for sports and experience working with sports teams and/or leagues preferred.
Able to communicate strategic plan and brand needs to players for activation deliverables
Know how to connect brand insights plus player insights and apply within an authentic cultural context
Professional character and attitude in dealing with players, agents, partners, stakeholders and co-workers
Positive attitude and flexible approach in dealing with adversity and conflict
Able and willing to travel to manage and execute player driven activations
If interested, please email and resume to careers@THINK450.com
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
THINK450 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.